Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So busy.

I turned 29 last Friday and it became an unintentional day off. There was no morning CrossFit because everyone did a 5k benefit run during the firefighter's convention and there wasn't enough time for me to get an afternoon workout in before we were supposed to meet family for dinner.

I couldn't work out on Saturday because our agenda was all full up with haircuts (hadn't had one in three months), a meeting with our credit and mortgage counselor, a trip 30 miles north of the city to meet Chloe, a crazy hyper Pug that Amanda wanted us to adopt, then back home to work on freelance stuff before dinner with friends.

Sunday was a mixture of work, rest, and grocery shopping. Turning 29 was anti-climatic. As I told my mom years ago, Christmas and birthdays lose their magic when you stop getting GI Joes. But I am 15 pounds lighter than I was when I turned 28, my on-the-verge-of-requiring-medication blood pressure has dropped, and I went down a pant size. Between that, Amanda, and my burgeoning freelance career, 28 was a good year.

Monday

Diet 8 a.m. Fruit salad with yogurt. 11 a.m. Half a tuna sandwich, half an apple. 1 p.m. Half a tuna sandwich, a small orange. 32 ounces of water. 6:30 p.m. McDonald's. Amanda was upset about school, I was completely trashed from CrossFit and stressed out because she was upset - long story short, I do almost all the cooking, and nights like this I don't want to spent 30-45 minutes in the kitchen. Good day otherwise. Another 32 ounces of water. 9 p.m. Popcorn and 100% cranberry juice.

Strength & Conditioning Jeff Chapman looks at the dry erase board and shakes his head. "This is gonna suck," he says. 600 meter run, 20 hanging cleans, 20 pull ups, 25 box jumps, four rounds for time. By the time we started round two he had revised it to be three rounds for time. I did jumping pull ups and box step ups and finished in just over 28 minutes. When everybody was don Jeff demonstrated proper form for the hang cleans and then (more or less) told several of us that our jumping pull ups were bullshit. It wasn't what I wanted to hear after a workout but I can't disagree.

Skills Zilch.

No comments: