Thursday, March 13, 2008

Shine on



Pat leans in and smears petroleum product across my eyebrows, cheeks, and the bridge of my nose. "I've always wanted to put vaseline on you," McPherson says. I sparred five three-minute rounds tonight, two with Chris Lytle, two with Dom, and one with Josh O'Brien, "Irish" Jake's twin brother and a reigning Indiana Golden Gloves champion. I got praise for pushing the action and taking punishment in the process but rather than get an ego boost I just felt like I got a Special Olympics ribbon for trying.

In the fourth round of jump rope Pat came over and told me my endurance is "fucking phenomenal." Sweating profusely, gasping for breath, I said something that sounded like a death rattle followed by "by comparison?"

McPerson said, "You look like a completely different person."

Today's lesson, in Pat's words, is "don't mindfuck yourself."

Diet 8 a.m. Homemade smoothie. 9 a.m. Green tea with honey. Noon A small Philly steak, fries, and a soda. 6:15 p.m. Small bottle of Gatorade. 7:30 p.m. Baked chicken breast over herbed rice, steamed brussel sprouts, broccoli and raw carrots.

Strength & Conditioning Five three-minute rounds of sparring, four three-minute rounds of jump rope, 200 sit-ups.

Skills I threw, and landed, overhand rights much more effectively this afternoon. I felt like my defenses were more consistent and I stayed a little more active, but amateur boxing doesn't reward hesitation. I need to be ready, willing, and able to turn each round into a two minute shock and awe campaign.

No comments: