Monday, January 21, 2008

"Our lives are starting to revolve around MMA."

I could tell Amanda was upset when I got off the phone. I'd made tentative plans for us to go watch the UFC 80 with a couple we're friends with, and I had previously discussed it with her. I'm smart enough to limit the unilateral decisions I make now that I am engaged, but I didn't think it was a huge deal. Amanda likes watching the fights (she used to train Muay Thai) as long as I answer any questions she has and she likes the couple we'd be hanging out with. A long silent stretch was followed by a teary discussion about how I am so busy with work and training that our social life and relationship are an afterthought. Between my training, blogging, freelance writing, and TV viewing habits, "Our lives are starting to revolve around MMA," she said. It is embarassing to hear your fiance tell you that she needs a little romance and excitement. Turns out that I dropped a ball during my juggling act and didn't even realize it.

The plan for this week is three-a-days (Crossfit/YMCA/Throwbacks) on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Satuday, YMCA on Sunday, and off days on Tuesday and Thursday.

Weighed in at 251# this morning.

Diet 6 a.m. Half a bottle of Naked Juice, granola bar. 8 a.m. Small bowl of granola. Noon Meatball sandwich, chips, salad, water. 4:15 p.m. Banana, handful of peanuts. 7:30 p.m. Spaghetti, marinara, steamed vegetables, Italian bread.

Conditioning Twenty minutes at Indy CrossFit, an hour on the treadmill at the YMCA, four rounds of sparring at Throwbacks, two rounds on the double-end bag and 100 reps of a four punch combination on the heavy bag.

Skills Worked with Keith Palmer on closing the gap, boxing inside, and counter punching with taller opponents. And we talked a little about how some of the things he showed me are not going to transfer to MMA.

I am tentatively scheduled to fight (ammy boxing) on Feb. 16, so I guess I am officially in camp starting today.

No comments: